Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cran-Apple Pork and Sweet Potatoes

This is a recipe I got from our church's ward cookbook, submitted by Cherie Jones.  I thought I'd try it because it was a Crockpot recipe, and even though I have a Crockpot I don't use it often because I don't usually plan far enough ahead.  Anyway, it was a great dinner, although it did turn out looking a bit stewy, if that's a word.  But the flavors went well together.  We ate it with some more apple sauce and some mixed frozen vegetables on the side (cooked, of course!).  How easy is that?  The simplest-to-prepare meal I've made in a long time.  And I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Cran-Apple Pork and Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
1-2 cups apple sauce
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4"-thick slices
2 lbs boneless pork chops (I used about 8 thinly sliced top loin chops)
1 can whole cranberry sauce
2-3 T brown sugar
Salt and pepper

Pour the applesauce into a 3-qt or larger Crockpot (mine is 5 qt).  You want enough to cover the bottom of the pot.  On top of that, spread out the sweet potatoes.  It doesn't matter if they form more than one layer.  Sprinkle the brown sugar on the sweet potatoes and a little bit of salt and pepper.  Put the pork chops on top of the sweet potatoes; season with salt and pepper.  Spoon the cranberry sauce on top, covering it all.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  (Mine was actually done by 6 hours but was still good at 8).  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

One of my favorites. I have plans to make this tomorrow.