Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Javanese Chicken Curry

This is another recipe from my M-I-L.  Thanks, Ruth, for all the great things you've taught me, especially to love Indian food!  And I do love it!  In fact, since marrying into this family I've learned to love curry in lots of forms, be it Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, whatever.  It's just good!  I don't like it too spicy (one pepper on the menu is perfect, two is do-able but just barely, three is HOT MAMA get me some chocolate milk!), but I do like it.  This, again, is my version of her recipe.  My kids LOVE this.  I know, they're weird kids.  They love curry, and won't touch mac-n-cheese.  Somehow that doesn't bother me much.


Javanese Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp peanut butter
1 tsp tomato paste
1/4 cup curry powder (I use mild, but you can adjust the spiciness and amount of curry to taste)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 cup cream
2 T butter, melted
4 tsp flour
1 lemon, juiced
1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 lb chicken, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces (use leftover chicken or grill up 2 large chicken breasts)
Shredded coconut
Chopped almonds
Mango chutney
Steamed rice

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Saute onion and garlic for 1 minute, then add 1 cup of the chicken broth and heat until warm.  Stir in cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, peanut butter, tomato paste, and curry powder.  Stir and simmer 10 minutes, reducing heat to medium-low.  Add remaining broth and the brown sugar, then let simmer while you prepare the cream.

In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter and flour until a smooth paste forms.  In a separate small saucepan heat the cream over medium-high heat for 1 minute.  Stir in the flour mixture and whisk together until the cream begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and whisk cream mixture into the curry mixture.  Add lemon juice, then stir in mango and chicken.

Serve over hot steamed rice, and top with shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and a hefty dollop of mango chutney.

Serves 5-6.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

this looks so delicious. i'm definitely going to try it this week. i know tyson and i will love it at least!