Sunday, January 31, 2010

Red Lentil Soup

When we lived in the Persian Gulf our church group put together a cookbook (thanks, Kristin!), and one of my favorite recipes from it is Red Lentil Soup, submitted by Michelle Jordan.  It's easy to make, only takes an hour to cook, and is delicious!  I especially love it on a snowy day, like we're having today.  We serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt on top (you could also use sour cream) and corn bread on the side. 

Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients:  
2 T olive oil  
15-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp coriander
6 cups broth (chicken, beef, or veggie)
1 T lemon juice
1 lb red lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.  Serves 6.

3 comments:

alexandra said...

I am so glad you have a food blog! I am also glad you posted about lentils as I have been trying to find a good lentil recipe the last few weeks (not easy to find). This sounds great!

M said...

I think I've had this before (made by you, of course) and it was delicious! I'll have to try it. By "red lentils," do you mean kidney beans? Or something else entirely?

Holly said...

Red lentils are definitely NOT kidney beans! They are lentils. They look like split peas, but they're red.