Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Noodle Dessert (a.k.a. Frog-Eye Salad)


One of the first things I had when I was meeting my husband's family (before he was my husband) was what they called Noodle Dessert.  As soon as I tasted it I knew that I had to get into this family.  It was heaven.  It's still one of my favorite things to eat, and when I make it I have to use great restraint to save any for anyone else.  YUM!  I've since found out that it's pretty much the same thing as Frog-Eye Salad, though I think Noodle Dessert is a much more pleasant name!

Noodle Dessert

Ingredients:
1 20-oz can pineapple chunks (reserve liquid)
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple (reserve liquid)
2 small cans or 1 large can Mandarin oranges (reserve liquid)
2/3 cup sugar
2 T flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp lemon juice
8 oz cool whip, or 1 pint of whipping cream, whipped
8 oz acine de pepe pasta
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil

Drain all the fruit, reserving the liquid.  You'll need a total of 1 3/4 cups liquid.  Measure the pineapple juices first, then add the orange juices until you get 1 3/4 cups. 
Pour 1 3/4 cups juices into a medium saucepan.  Stir in sugar, flour, 1/4 salt, and eggs.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Place a piece of plastic wrap right on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.
Heat 2 quarts water and 1 tsp salt in a medium saucepan until boiling.  Cook acini de pepe for 8 minutes (ignore directions on box), then drain and rinse in cold water.  Immediately add 1 tsp oil, and toss until well-coated.  Set aside to cool.
When all ingredients are cool, pour pudding into a large serving bowl.  Stir in fruit and cool whip (or whipping cream), and stir well until combined.  Add the acini de pepe and stir well.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.
Serves 8-10 as a side dish or dessert.

No comments: